An estimated 5 billion people, or half of the global population, could be affected by short-sightedness by 2050.
With more near-work activities, less time spent outdoors, the high value placed on education performance, and many other combined and interacting hereditary, behavioral and environmental factors, the incidence of myopia in children is expected to increase.
MiyoSmart is an innovative spectacle lens for myopia control developed by Hoya together with its partner, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Based on a two-year clinical trial results, MiyoSmart is proven to curb myopia progression by an average of 60% with its award-winning D.I.M.S. (Defocus Incorporated Multiple Segments) technology.
Find out more on how you can address concerns on myopia progression with MiyoSmart by contacting your Hoya sales representative.
MiyoSmart with D.I.M.S. technology is comprised of a central optical zone for correcting refractive error and multiple defocus segments evenly surrounding the central zone (extending to the mid-periphery) of the lens to control myopia progression.
This provides clear vision and myopic defocus simultaneously at all viewing distances. The lens makes use of the natural homeostatic mechanism known as “emmetropisation”, whereby the eyeball adapts and shapes to receive focused images as it does
for normal vision.
- Curb myopia progression in average by 60%
- Slow axial eye growth in average by 60%
As children are active, there is a need for the lens material to be impact-resistant to offer their eyes the protection they need. MiyoSmart uses polycarbonate 1.59 which is a highly impact resistant material that has passed the high-velocity impact drop ball test.
- Impact-resistant material safe for active kids
- UV protection
- Light and thin
Taking care of eyesight. Wearers should:
- Spend more time outdoors, minimum 2 hours a day.
- Take breaks from long intensive screen time or near-work.
- Take note of ergonomics, such as proper lighting, posture, keeping the recommended working distance are very important to keep your eyes healthy while doing the near-work.
- Get regular eye check-ups to ensure that myopia or other vision problems are detected and treated early, reducing the worsening of vision, myopia progression and potential complications of high myopia.